Mission Guatemala Trip Summer of 2018
June 9-17, 2018
ABOUT MISSION GUATEMALA
Mission Guatemala started in 2009 by Tom Heaton, a UMC clergy from the Indiana Conference and one of the missionaries we support as a congregation. The goal of Mission Guatemala is to improve the quality of life for the indigenous people of Guatemala, which is one of the poorest nations in the western hemisphere and ranked 4th in the world for child malnutrition. Over 60% of the country survives on less than $2 a day. Through the combination of sustainability projects, VBS-type programs, education, construction, and medication outreach, Mission Guatemala is touching the lives of people every day by doing “all the good we can.”
The Mission Guatemala trips are open to all adults of any age or skill level, as well as students accompanied by at least 1 parent. This trip is sponsored by Castleton UMC and all team members are going as representatives of not only CUMC but themselves and the United States.
Mission Guatemala trips are an opportunity to be in the hands and feet of Jesus in a place of great need within a culture and nation that is different than our own. The emphasis of these trips will be one of service, focusing on the attitude of “You…not me.”
Mission Guatemala is located near Panajachel, which is a 3 hour van ride from Guatemala City. The flight from Indianapolis to Guatemala City takes roughly 8 hours, give or take depending on layovers, customs, etc.
The accommodations for the team for the week will be at the new Mission Guatemala compound located in Panajachel. Panajachel is on Lago de Atitlan with many exploring/shopping opportunities. The gated compound was recently purchased and was used for accommodating work teams for the first time in 2014. Breakfast and Dinner will be served at the compound. Guatemala has a subtropical climate and July will be during the rainy season. October is the end of the rainy season and the beginning of the dry season. Expect temperatures to be in the 70’s during the day and upper 50’s at night. It is always smart to bring good rain gear regardless of the season.
Besides being an opportunity to express the love of Chris through service, the Mission Guatemala trips will provide the chance to experience a unique culture while also having a lot of fun. I think you will find it to be an unforgettable experience. Guatemala is a beautiful country which is only exceeded by the beauty of the Guatemala people.
The estimated cost per participant for the Mission Guatemala 2018 trip is $1,800 + any spending money a team member chooses to bring for meals while travelling to and from Guatemala, souvenirs, etc. An additional $200 would likely be more than sufficient.
For the Mission Guatemala 2018 trip, a non-refundable deposit of $200 per team member is required by August 15, 2017 to reserve a spot for the trip. We have room for 20 team members on this trip.
Payment schedule for Mission Guatemala 2018
August 15 – $200 Make checks payable to CUMC, memo Mission Trip MG 2018
November 15 – $600
February 15 – $600
April 20 – remaining balance (to be determined)
*Faith Promise dollars will cover the $2000 supply fee for each team for this trip!*
- Make sure you have a valid passport (one that will not expire within 6 months of returning from Guatemala). Apply for this as soon as you commit for the trip if you do not have one already
- Tetanus and Hepatitis A are recommended immunizations (we’ll be at an altitude of over 5,000ft so Malaria is not a concern). Check with your physician. A Hepatitis immunization is a multiple month two shot process, so this should also be addressed as soon as possible.
- Knowing or at least attempting to learn a little Spanish is helpful, however by no means required.
- We will be picking up travelers’ insurance for each team member. This will also include trip insurance in case a qualifying event results in you not being able to go.
- For more information about Mission Guatemala, feel free to visit their website (missionguatemala.com)
Contact Mary Carson (firstname.lastname@example.org) or 509-3757 with questions