Job Title: Director of Student Ministries
Department: Student Ministries
Reports To: Pastor
FLSA Status: Exempt
SUMMARY: This position is responsible for providing leadership, training and direction for the student ministry programs and activities at Castleton United Methodist Church (CUMC)
All employees at CUMC are expected to model the Church’s mission “to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.”
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Participates in prayer, devotions and Bible study.
2. Leads weekly programming and outreach activities for tweens (5th-6th grade), middle school (7th-8th grade) and high school (9th-12thgrade) students (i.e. youth) to include: coordinating all of the administrative duties, organizing the curriculum, teaching and supervising the students, assigning volunteers, etc.
3. Develops new and creative programs for the Student Ministries program.
4. Collaborates with the Director of Children’s Ministries on programming and execution of the tweens ministry.
5. Establishes and works with a Confirmation team, along with the pastors, to plan and execute an exciting and educational Confirmation program.
6. Plans, organizes and leads all special events such as work projects, domestic and international mission trips, camp ministries, retreats, etc.
7. Plan and leads all fundraising activities.
8. Provides spiritual guidance to students on an individual basis and makes referrals to other resources as necessary.
9. Coordinates volunteers teachers and leaders for all programs to include: Sunday School, Bible Studies, small groups, events and student discipleship.
10. Serves as a liaison for student groups in the community such as Campus Life, Young Life, and Boy Scouts.
11. Communicates with the congregation by writing articles, reporting and updating on programming and activities on behalf of Student Ministries.
12. Uses current technology and social media to communicate and connect with students and their families in a healthy, appropriate and meaningful manner.
13. Develops and maintains the budget and determines priorities, as needed.
14. Coordinates Vacation Bible School (VBS) student volunteers and tween participants.
15. Assists students with organizing, planning and leading Youth Sunday services for the congregation an works to integrate them in with and to serve the Church family.
16. Attends sporting and school events, school lunches, extra curricular activies, etc to show and represent Student Ministries support for students within the community.
17. Leads the Student Ministries Parent Council and Youth Council with vision, planning and leadership for programming and activities.
18. Participates in committee and staff meetings, retreats, and other staff activities, as appropriate.
19. Completes clerical work associated with the job, as needed.
20. Other duties as requested.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Supervises volunteers who work within the youth ministries area. Employee carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, screening, and training volunteers; planning, assigning, and directing work; scheduling and approving time worked; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining volunteers; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility according to the requirements of CUMC. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Church-related Competencies – To perform this job successfully, all employees of CUMC must demonstrate the following competencies;
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of CUMC above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; and supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional member and youth situations; responds promptly to member and youth needs; solicits member and youth feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; and meets commitments.
Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports CUMC’s goals and values; benefits CUMC through outside community activities; and supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
Oral and Written Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things; Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
Job-related Competencies – To perform this job successfully, employees in this job should demonstrate the following competencies;
Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform
well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others;
Gives appropriate recognition to others.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving
measures; Conserves organizational resources.
Initiative – Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Bachelor Degree in field related to youth ministry (BA or BS with 3 years of experience in administering student programs in a church environment may substitute for educational requirement). An ability to connect and relate with Middle School and High School students has been demonstrated. A willingness to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet demands of a changing student culture is crucial. The ability to recruit, train and supervise volunteer staff is required. Strong organizational skills, knowledge and understanding of church policy are required. An attitude of humility, teamwork and collaboration are a must. Musical ability is desirable but not a must.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from youth, parents, congregation members and the general public.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, areas, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: A valid IN driver’s license may be required for this position.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Candidates must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Congregation, committees, staff and community members. Incumbent must have the ability to adapt and conform to shifting priorities and demands and execute accordingly.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS: Computer software skills required include: Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe. Experience working with Constant Contact and Shelby software is required. Experience working with graphic design software is desired. The ability to operate a printer, copy machine, scanner and other office equipment is required. Candidates must exhibit strong editing and proofreading skills.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently will stand; and walk. The employee occasionally will climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; taste or smell; and lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, without an assistive device.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less), distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more), color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors), peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point), depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships), and the ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus).
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The normal office hours at CUMC are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. However, incumbents in this position are required to work additional days and hours to meet the demands of the job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally is exposed to outdoor weather conditions, working near moving mechanical parts and the risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
If interested, please contact email@example.com with resume.